Thursday, November 12, 2015

Cancer Sucks

 Ta-ta's!  Boobies!  Hooters!  We dress them in fine attire. We hold them up and take great pride in their presentation.


However a breast by any other name is still a breast!

   I am almost to a number in age that makes me an adult.  No turning back.  20's you are learning the world. 30's you are learning your home and family. 40's you haven't quite learned everything but you can function and are expected to function independently.  Currently 40 is also the magic number for women to start getting mammograms.

  I am just shy of the big 4-0 and have jumped into the mammogram world.  I went to my first one today.  We all know once you start it doesn't stop but I am hoping for a pleasant journey in my mammogram experience.  I have that cancer blemish in my family to include breast cancer.  So I'm stepping up to be proactive in the situation.

  I was fortunate with the being able to obtain an appointment the next day of scheduling.  This reduced my anxiety tremendously.  So on my Veterans Day I got my first test.  This will be easy to remember every year.

  Now I remember all the horror stories I heard.  How you are squeezed to death.  So close to crying. The pain is unbearable.  The stories I heard still ring in my ears!  I can't tell you who and where I heard the stories but they played over in my head.

Be hold the headquarters for the next 15 minutes or so.  The command station!  Stand still, head up lean to the right, hand at your side, hold here and breath normal.

Bottom line, I survived.  It wasn't even that uncomfortable pressure wise as much as it was to stay still.  I did ask her if times had changed from the "painful" days and she said yes.  Machines have improved, tension and pressure are not what they use to be.   My experience really wasn't that bad.  I had so much fun I'm eagerly looking forward to my 2nd diagnostic on this coming Monday because one side apparently wasn't as cooperative.

Go ahead ladies! Get out there and take care of the girls! If you take care of them, they will take care of you!



No comments:

Post a Comment