Thursday, March 8, 2018

Girlboss (book review)



  On my journey to read 50 books for the year I want to pause and tell you how much I appreciated #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso!  She is the founder and CEO of NastyGal. Nasty Gal really meant nothing to me before (I hope I'm not the only one) I read the book but, while reading it and hearing the story of how it was born I had to check it out.

    I picked up this book due to the popularity around it (Instagram). After waiting a few weeks on the wait list at my library it was mine.  It is an easy read and I finished it in a day! Easy to finish in one day (if you didn't have my kids, have to cook, be responsible for long periods of time).

  The book is broken down into 11 chapters ranging from how she began, to how she survived to owning her individuality.  She provides her perspective!


Now that you mention it.  I bet money does look better on the bank but, to confirm that I'm going to have to try it first! Is it a certain amount or any amount?


Take care of your business. Don't worry about what someone else is doing.  Sophia says, "Fight for your idea.  Take the spirit with you to whatever job you're doing!" P.S. I like this quote she has from Abraham Lincoln (even though after research I couldn't confirm it).  The thought of the word hustle beginning back then makes me laugh.


I know we could look up motivational quotes online but, it's just better to find them randomly and appropriately placed in this book.  The make just as much as an impact as her encouraging words.

If I owned this book I would have highlighted many passages (there is a workbook though).  I have no desire to be an entrepreneur or run a company in any capacity but, I am walking away from this book feeling better having read it.  

I haven't gotten a chance to watch the series on Netflix yet (as suggested) but, I will.  It would be nice to see the lady behind the book.  I would actually go to stand in line for a meet and greet!


Do you believe in magic? 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Rose, I feel like it's a book that I will enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one either, but I am also on the wait list to check it out from the library on my kindle. I've heard so many good things about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nasty Girl meant nothing to me either when I got this book. But so enjoyed it. It's interesting to see how her business has failed though a few years after the book, but it's still one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great book. Thank you for your review...I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the book and really loved the show on Netflix. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your review. I would definitely like to read this book one day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love all these quotes! will check this out, and yes, i DO believe in magic!

    ReplyDelete