Friday, November 11, 2016

Crayon Candles (diy)


  I have posted my box of crayons before.  I can't recall when it started obviously it didn't happen overnight but let me stand back and admire this box of crayons with endless possibilities.


  Thanks to Google and Pinterest we have the ability to type in a project and be provided with images and directions on how and what go make with anything.  Enter my idea to make crayon candles.

  This is an easy craft for you to make.  As you can see from my box of crayons there are a variety of brands in there.  I can not comment on which brand worked better or which didn't.  In my box are name brand crayons as well as generic crayons and those crayons you get from restaurants (I may be a hoarder).  So with that last statement I just said if you want to make one of these you can collect from the restaurants or just buy a few boxes.

  For this project you need crayons, a twine and glass jar.  Choose your crayon color combinations.  I planned on doing a wave of colors so I choose a few colors versus a solid color.


Of course you need to peel them and choose your pattern if your using more then one color.


This is a good easy step for little fingers if they want to help you!


I used a empty clean soup can to melt the crayons.  Reuse at its finest.   Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.  Add your crayons to the can.  I  melted my lighter colors first.  You see I'm using tongs to grab the HOT can and then I poured it into the glass jar after it was thoroughly melted.


I used twine that after much research was comfortable with this choice versus buying anything in particular.  You need to prepare the twine wick prior to use.  To prepare the wick you need to coat it several times with wax.  Dip it in wax, let it dry and redip.   


You will need to secure the wick to the bottom of the jar.  I added the wax slowly and held the wick in place until the wax dried.  There are different ways to use this including attaching the top to a chopstick and dangling the wick to the bottom.

After your wick is set continue adding your other wax colors.  You can see my jar was small and I only used 4 crayons per color.


It looks like a candle, works like a candle and in all senses it is a candle.  This is a super easy project to make.  A great personal gift to make for the holidays.  Pick up some glass jars at the thrift store, dollar store or reuse old baby food jars or items you may have on hand.  Make them one color or mix them up.  

I had fun making this project and look forward to making a couple more in different ways and shapes.

#nablopomo 

9 comments:

  1. What an easy project! I'll have to keep it in mind the next time I have rambunctious little ones around. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do this with my nieces. We love burning candles in the house and we have plenty of wayward crayons around...lol I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a 1/2 day K teacher we have 2x the amount of broken crayons. Now I know exactly what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so cute! Thanks for sharing the DIY with us! I'll try this DIY with my nephew during the Christmas when I'll meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea for a fun gift! Anything arts and crafty I always enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really fun to make! Thank you for sharing the concept, it looks like a wonderful project to try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Google you can find any resource so easily with images and directions on how they are done. This is such a wondderful DIY work and the end result looks quiet amazing too. I would love to give it a try sometime during Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! I'll have to keep it in mind during the Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun idea for leftover crayons! I'll have to go find some in my house

    ReplyDelete