Thursday, September 1, 2016

Kubo and The Two Strings (movie review)



I recently was roped into seeing Kubo.  The two culprits work well as a team when it benefits them and involves popcorn.  Most of the time the movies I'm subjected to watch with the small people are good and this one fell into that category.

  Kubo is an animated fantasy adventure film rated PG that runs for 1 hour and 42 minutes. Main characters voices come from Matthew McConaughey and Charlize Theron.

After seeing this movie I now realize that PG ratings need to be further investigated.  This movie had some scenes that I was concerned about the perception from my kids but I know they were ok because they didn't mention it afterwords, so that's good.

Kubo starts out with supporting his mom and winds up running from spirits.  Along the way he is accompanied by a monkey and a beetle.  He plays beautiful music that creates living origami.  Some of the origami is for entertainment and other pieces save lives.


Some questionable images that brought concern for my kids were scattered throughout the movie.  Like I said since the kids didn't seem to be impacted by it I shouldn't be too worried.  Kubo had his eye stolen by his grandpa.  He had the visible scar even if your child didn't catch the line of what happened to it.  Some evil spirits are set free and pursue Kubo for his remaining good eye.  These are just a few scenes in the movie.

Overall it was a good movie.  The images were so real and lifelike.  The random touches of the Asian culture make it extra special.  Origami, lifestyle and traditions throughout the movie led to discussions with my kids of a far away land!

The movie is still in theaters and if your looking for a kids movie (that is not a baby film) this is the one for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment