Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Random Acts of Kindness (Volunteering)



  Working without pay is to volunteer.
Volunteer is one who gives up there time willingly to  do something.  I try to volunteer when I can and when I can take my kids I try to include them as well.

  One evening I took my daughter to assist with Compassion alongside me.  Compassion is an organization that allows you to sponsor a child in another country.  Supporting them through various parts of their life.  Donations could be for food, medical, school and more.


  We helped with The Compassion Experience.  This event is a mobile experience traveling around the world.  At these events you get the opportunity to walk into Uganda or Philippines.  You get a glimpse of poverty.  Hear through a named child's voice their daily life of how they started out and how things have gotten better due to Compassion and sponsors.


  My daughter walked through one experience but there are 3 available.  After that we were ready to work our 4 hour shift!  Our job was to pass out devices (used to listen to the experiences) clean them and retrieve them for new visitors.


  The work wasn't hard but it was helpful.  When you volunteer you allow other things to get done.  The staff, company/organization can work on more important things, they can hire less people resulting in more money used for the specific cause, it also just allows people to help and do good.


  My daughter enjoyed herself.  Understands what we were there to do and the impact we made by being there.

  This year I plan on getting my family out to volunteer in more areas, with more organizations. Helping with causes close to us and places where we are needed.

  If you would like to see the Compassion Experience checkout their website here
to see the upcoming locations.  You are also able to sponsor a child well as sign up for volunteer opportunities.

22 comments:

  1. Growing up I volunteered a lot for school with different clubs and in Girl Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how I love the act of volunteering. It felt so good after you have done something for the benefit of others. I dont know but I feel a different joy every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kinds of activities makes me want to reorganize my schedule and plan to volunteer again as well. It's time well spent and you get to hear stories and make friends for real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a sweet and happy time! Volunteering is so important for the mind and soul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She likes to help which makes it nice instead of a chore. I hope she keeps that mindset.

      Delete
  5. What a super great way to encourage kindness and giving back. This is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely idea and a learning experience for your daughter. It seems to me like you are doing an amazing job here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope she grows up being as helpful and kind as she is now.

      Delete
  7. I believe that teaching your children to volunteer to help others is wonderful! It's a great habit to start early.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful and rewarding experience for you child. Volunteering is so beneficial for both the volunteer and the community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Volunteering is such a rewarding thing to do! My parents encouraged me to volunteer from a very young age, and I don't think there has really ever been a point in my life since the age of 5 or 6 where I've NOT been volunteering at something! I currently am volunteering with Student Unity Project as their social media director, a charity in Canada that helps eliminate bullying in schools by advocating for friendship amongst the students. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I am still encouraging my older daughter to find an area important to her and work with it.

      Delete
  10. Yusssss I love volunteering! I volunteered for about 2 years for a local charity in Hawaii who boxed up and delivered food parcels to struggling and homeless people. It felt so good and I can't wait to get back into volunteering here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volunteering is everywhere that's for sure! I hope when my older daughter goes on to college she finds something where she is at.

      Delete
  11. I love volunteering, and it's so important to teach kids about compassion and serving others. We've tried to instill that in our kids and have tried to also do it as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so great, teaching kids to volunteer, I haven't volunteered as much as I did in college but I really want to give back more in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  13. volunteering is such a great way to help your fellow human and teach kids how to give back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Volunteering is great, but teaching a kid to be volunteer is even greater!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yesssss, I will start volunteering this Saturday as well. It took me a while to find a place I would like to volunteer at. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of places to choose from in some areas and other areas you have a limited selection. Here we have plenty from animals to kids to parks.

      Delete
  16. I love volunteering at local charities and events. It does make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being a volunteer is so important and it teaches us all to be thankful and caring.

    ReplyDelete