Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Hidden Figures (movie review)



  This drama was released into theaters based on true events in Dec and I finally got around to seeing it.  The film is rated PG and has a run time of about 2 hours.  The film had a great cast including Kevin Costner, Octavia Spencer and Kirsten Dunst and many more.

  This film takes place in Virginia in the 60's.  The story follows 3 women as they work in various areas of NASA.  The film touches on the day to day obstacles they faced based on the color of their skin.  Segregated buses, drinking fountains and bathrooms.

  Promotions for two women lead them into a more responsible role with a lack of appreciation and respect.  The third women played by Octavia Spencer works harder to secure her fleet of women and their jobs by learning the new computer system that's being brought in.  This learning process takes us to a stop at the local library which of course is also segregated.

  I was energized by this movie not because they were of color or women.  I liked this movie because of the determination they had.  The fight they had in them to take their job to the next level.  They knew they were smart.  They knew they were qualified.  They just had to prove the laws were wrong and that they were an equal citizen if allowed.

  I have not read the book and I'm not aware of what was added to the movie to enhance it but a few of my favorite parts including: the scenes where Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson) ran across the base to use the bathroom, where Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) told her case to the judge and when AL Harrison (Kevin Costner) took down the "coloreds" bathroom sign.

  There was enough going on though the movie that I wasn't bored.  I sat entertained through the duration of the film.  I walked out empowered with the confidence that I could do anything if I set my mind to it.  It made me want to encourage the children of the future to keep at what your good at be it science or math.  They will get recognized for their accomplishments!

  Have you seen this film yet?  Any plans to?  What's the last movie you saw?

12 comments:

  1. I really want to see this! I LOVE history and this is just fascinating to me. I'm so glad their story is finally being told. What smart women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women of integrity and strength. My kind of movie! I can't wait to see this

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of movie I like to watch. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely want to. Especially during this time when women are STILL fighting for their rights, still pushing back against the norm. I hope to see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had plans to see this movie yesterday but all the showings were sold out. I had no idea there was a book on it. Maybe I should read that first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen it yet but many of my friends have and they all give it two thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this kind of movie, promoting women, true events, and showing integrity and courage. Lovely review dear! And I hope I could find this movie very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love movie that empowers women. I liked the story and can't wait to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love anything that empowers women! Women in science is even more awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ofcourse every woman will love this movie! A women's powerful movie will surely hit the ratings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard so many great things about this movie. Such a powerful message...I must go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wanting to see it too. It looks very interesting. I love when women make history.

    ReplyDelete