Wednesday, January 4, 2017

1st Day Hike



  Sunday I took advantage of the 1st day hike at my local state park here in VA.  I already hold a pass for free entry which was another lure for people but I wanted to start the year off on foot and fresh air!

  In addition to the free entry fee a variety of parks offered guided tours or encouraged unaccompanied tours.  I was running late so I hiked alone.


  I choose a local park versus one I really wanted to go to that was several hours away.  Chippokes State Park is one of my favorites.  I have been here a few times and nothing gets better then finding a new trail and exploring more!


  Chippokes Park is locates in Surry, VA and offers a unique experience in addition to the pool and cabins.  This park has working farm as well as an antebellum mansion.



  I have toured the house and the kitchen located in a separate quarters but I love the walk to the mansion and the view!




  I had a great day.  A solo day had so many rewards and gave me a lot of time to think and reflect on myself, the new year and explore my surroundings.

  I always use Map My Run as I'm the only one without a Fitbit to keep track of my miles but the phone battery died so on the way back it stopped calculating.


  Not too bad if you take into account stopping to take a ton of pictures!

  I can't wait to take my family back to show them the new path I found!  Keep following as we have a fee more state parks to explore before we have seen all of them in the state! 

For more information about this park check it out here.

15 comments:

  1. So great to get outside on the first day of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia seems like a great place to hike and the weather must have been great and not too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous park. I'd love to walk and see all the cool places. That mansion is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a lots of fun that day in the park! I loved your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, It looks like a wonderful hike and the weather looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a perfect location to go hiking in, and I definitely enjoy doing it solo as well, plus I loved every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great location for a day out and a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to spend the first day of 2017. It looks like a really gorgeous place, great photos! Nikki x

    www.twentysomethingmuddle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love visiting state parks. We live pretty close to Cumberland Gap and I go hiking pretty often. Although it'll probably slow down now that the snow has found us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an interesting mansion. I wonder what's the life in there, living in thsi beautiful community, and near the lake. I think the romance is always in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fun and rewarding hike! Hope you enjoyed yourself and thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great hike! I love hiking and this reminded me I really need to start up again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like an awesome day. Hopefully your me-day was well enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. State parks are so fun to visit. This one looks great. I'd love to see more pics.

    ReplyDelete