Sunday, February 5, 2017

Book Clubs



  Let's talk about a book club for a minute.  I know they have been around for years but, I only just recently joined one.  I saw a book that I had previously saw a movie for and it was the upcoming topic of a book club at my local library.

  This book club was meeting at a local trail to take a walk and discuss Wild.

photo credit to NY Times

I think it was a combination of the movie that I liked, the book I never read and a trail I hadn't hiked before caught my attention to join this club.  I read the book and showed up at the trail but the mosquitoes were out in full force and it was the 1st day of hunting.  The hike was canceled and we met at a local restaurant for discussion.

The next book was selected around the Halloween theme.

Photo credit to Amazon

This was the first time reading this book but, the author had written a piece I had read in highschool.  When I talked about this book I was surprised with how many people were familiar with it.  We met at a local teahouse and disused the book over hot cups of tea and a light lunch.

Over the holidays she just a winter themed book.

                   Photo credit to Amazon 

  This book discussion was to meet at the train station museum.  However due to bad weather that weekend this meeting was canceled.  I was looking forward to this as I had not been to that particular museum before.

Our most recent meeting took place this weekend.  We met at the library for an activity and to discuss the latest book.


For this event we discussed The Goldfinch and the previous book that we were not able to discuss.  For this event we painted our own goldfinch.  The host had already had the picture on our boards so we just got to paint and talk.


  I have never belonged to a book club but this has been a great experience.  It has allowed me to be part of a group, helped me make time to read, have adult time and read books I never would have tried before.

  Our next book has been decided but I can't remember at the moment what it is called.  I look forward to reading it and taking that journey that only a book can give you.

  What's the last book you have read?  Have you ever belonged to a book club before?

16 comments:

  1. These books all sound interesting. I've heard about Wild. I need to read that one.

    I'm currently reading a book called The Wonder and it's a good one! I love to read but am not in a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! It has been a long time since I was apart of a reading club. I think i was a teenager. Not sure I can do that now. But i like the fact that you are taking time for you to do something you like. And that is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never belonged to a book club but it's something I've always wanted to do. :) Good for you on joining it to give you a little fun thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Murder on the Orient Express many years ago and loved it. I believe it's consider one of the classic suspense thrillers. It was very good from my recollection. I hope that you enjoyed it too!

    Beth || www.TheStyleBouquet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, this was the first Agatha Christie book I have ever read.

      Delete
  5. Oooo so many awesome reads!!! I will have to check a few of these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking mon to mom. It's so nice to read something more than a child's book.

      Delete
  6. I have never even heard of the book club! All of those books look so thrilling. I try to get my reading in almost everyday if I can, but I would love to become a part of a club such as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodreads is a site where you can review books you read but it also offers book clubs you can join locally or even virtually.

      Delete
  7. I loved my book club. We called ourselves Books, Bites and Booze. It was just nice to get together and know that there was a day we were meeting every month. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh what a fun name for a book club! I like the common goal of sharing and I like the chit chat with others.

      Delete
  8. I belonged to a book club a couple of years ago and it was pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't joined any book club, probably because in my circle am the only one who loves to read, and they prefer to binge for movies. Goodreads is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After moving overseas, I've realised how American the idea of a book club is. One of my friends in Spain went "Oh yeah, I think I saw that on the Simpsons," when I mentioned one. Either way, they're always a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these books sound like n interesting read. Ive never really joined a book club but I have always fancied the idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all look like some amazing reads !

    ReplyDelete